License Plate Mounted I-Pass: A Comprehensive Guide

I-Pass transponders come in different types: Flat Pack, LCD, and License plates. They are all made for specific purposes, and need a special request to get a License plate transponder. 

Furthermore, the license plate mounted I-Pass is less commonly used than the transponder types because only a few vehicles qualify.

If you want to know more about the License Plate Mounted I-Pass, this article is for you.  

What are License Plate Mounted I-Pass?

I-Pass is a medium for paying for Illinois-operated tollways. Motorists who proceed through the tolls often stop to pay at a collection point. Rather than stopping to pay for the toll, motorists can pay electronically using I-Pass. 

I-Pass offers a more convenient way to pay for tolls without using cash or mail payment. Another good thing about this is that payment is much cheaper than cash.  

In addition, I-Pass makes use of a tool called a transponder. What this does is that it is read by a transmission antenna which allows a direct deduction from your I-Pass account. 

The transponder is mounted to your vehicle, usually in front. At the front of the car, the radio frequency released by the antenna can easily hit the transponder.

A license plate mounted I-Pass is when the I-Pass transponder is mounted at the license plate area of your vehicle. 

Normally, you are given transponders that are mounted on the windshield. However, some vehicles have an exception to that because of the way windshields are designed. 

Some windshields are made from unique materials that do not allow radio frequency released by the antenna to read the transponder. If the transponder is not read, you will be charged more. 

Types of I-Pass Transponders

There are three types of transponders which include the following. 

1. Vertical windshields

Vertical windshield transponders are for vehicles with vertical windshields, as the name implies. Vehicles with vertical windshields are Jeeps, buses, or trucks. 

This type of transponder is recommended to be mounted at the center of the windshield. It should be one or two inches away from the bottom of the windshield.  

2. Roof-mounted 

This transponder type is used by large commercial vehicles like trucks, buses, RVs, etc. They will be mounted to the roof of the car. 

3. License plate transponder

As explained above, the license plate-mounted transponder is issued to those with windshields made from unique materials. These materials do not allow the antenna to read the tag correctly.  

How Can I Get A License Plate Mounted I-Pass?

If you want a License Plate Mounted I-Pass tag, you might have to make a special request for them. 

Generally, to get a transponder, you will have to visit the official I-Pass website. Sign up to I-Pass, fill in the necessary option, and pay for the transponder. It will be delivered to you within 5 to 7 days. 

However, getting your transponder through the above-mentioned way does not guarantee to get a License plate-mounted I-Pass. 

If you have a windshield made from metal components, contact I-Pass customer care to make a special. It will not cost you more than getting the regular windshield-mounted transponder.  

The windshield and license plate transponders do the same thing. There is no need to go out of your way to get the license plate transponder if your windshield is not made from metal components. 

What States Can I Use I-Pass?

It is essential to know if you can use an I-Pass in the state you are staying in. If you use IPas in a form that is not supported, its tag will be marked as invalid and will not be charged to your I-Pass. It will also be a waste of money, and you may need to get a Toll Tag.

I-Pass is supported in 17 states in the US and 29 tolling agencies. The states that you can use the I-Pass toll tag include the following. 

1. Delaware

2. Indiana

3. Maine

4. New Hampshire,

5. Ohio

6. Virginia

7. Florida (only in Orlando region)

8. Kentucky

9. Maryland

10. New Jersey

11. Pennsylvania

12. West Virginia

13. Illinois

14. Massachusetts

15. North Carolina

16. New York

17. Rhode Island 

Another good thing about using I-Pass is that it can be used in some places in Ontario. However, you cannot use an I-Pass tag registered with a vehicle in the US for your car in Canada. 

You can transfer your I-Pass tag between vehicles if the car is registered to your I-Pass account. The vital thing to note is that when transferring it from one vehicle to another, it must be adequately mounted. 

How To Mount A License Plate Mounted I-Pass

Mounting an I-Pass transponder to your license plate is relatively easy and does not require any unique tool. You only need a simple tool to screw in the I-Pass transponder to your license plate.

Below are easy steps to have the transponder mounted. 

1. You must identify the back of the transponder using the arrows close to the mounting holes.

2. Fasten the transponder to the front of the license plate by using the mounting screw of the plate. 

3. Now, you can mount the license plate and transponder to your vehicle. Ensure it is correctly done and it is not shaky.

Cost Of Getting A License Plate Mounted I-Pass

The cost of getting a license plate-mounted I-Pass will not vary from a windshield-mounted I-Pass tag.

It will cost about $30 to get your I-Pass, which will be done after signing up. You will also have to make other payments. 

Also, you must pay a $10 refundable deposit and deposit $20 for prepaid tools. Your account has to have a minimum balance of $20.  

Final Thoughts!

I-Pass is a great way to pay your toll fees; however, if you do not use the transponder properly, it might not work. Avoid holding the transponder, placing it on the dashboard or sun visor. It will not allow the tag to be read properly, and the toll fee will not be charged to your I-Pass account.  

Ensure to make special request transponders that will fit your vehicle’s needs. If you have a special feature windshield, call and request a license plate tag.

  • Edmond Davis

    I'm Edmond Davis, an automotive expert with years of experience in vehicle repair, performance, and safety. I graduated from the University of Michigan with a degree in Automotive Engineering and have worked with major companies like Ford, GM, and Chrysler. I'm a trusted source of information for anyone looking to learn more about cars or improve their driving experience.

    View all posts

Related Posts